Before - green tiles, dodgy lino, unsafe shower.

Before – green tiles, dodgy lino, unsafe shower.

Major milestone today – we have finally finished one room. It’s the smallest room in the house but it did have to be gutted and started from scratch so it’s unbridled excitement in the Moodie household. I refer, of course, to the downstairs shower room – a project begun back in October when the old unsafe shower and fittings were ripped out and the walls plasterboarded and tiled.

A blank canvas...sort of

A blank canvas…sort of

wpid-IMAG0241.jpg

It’s a bit tricky redoing a bathroom in an old house, treading a line between twee repro items, clinical and slightly jarring contemporary fittings and expensive and awkward to install salvaged items. We wanted to have our cake and eat it with the convenience of a simple walk-in shower (complete with recycled plastic shower tray), traditional style loo and sink, and stone and slate tiles to add texture and reflect the outside landscape. We also had a limited choice of showers due to the off-grid water supply and the need for an electric shower. Our new bathroom fittings are all from Victoria Plumb, with the exception of the heated towel rail which is from Geyser. The slate floor tiles are from Cosmo Ceramics and cost us less than fifty quid and the wall tiles by Al Murad.

shower after

Stage two was to get the lighting and extractor fan fitted and the walls and ceiling plastered which was done before Christmas. Leaving a couple of weeks to let the plaster dry out properly, we then painted. We started with a miscoat of watered down white emulsion, followed by another coat of full-strength white emulsion. Then came the top coat. Walls are in Farrow and Ball’s Ammonite estate eggshell and the ceiling and door woodwork in a brilliant white eggshell we had leftover from old DIY jobs.

This week brought the finishing touches – attaching a mirror made from an old wardrobe door mirror left in the back hall when we moved in which I customized with driftwood (how-to post later) and shelves made using old cistern brackets from the upstairs bathroom which I stripped and cleaned but left with distressed paintwork. The shelf was made from pieces of wood salvaged from other projects in the house which we sanded and treated with linseed oil.

shelf and mirror

We love it and I now have a room to hide in when the endless DIY gets too much!

Advertisements