small_bedroom

I do love a before-and-after post and this is a fun one. The first room we’ve redecorated upstairs is Iris’s bedroom, so for the first time ever tonight Arthur is sleeping in a bedroom alone. We’ve spent most of the summer working on this room, albeit in fits and starts and mostly at night.

When we moved in, this room was empty and it is the smallest of the full-size bedrooms upstairs. The window faces west and overlooks the copse and dell that floods in winter. It also has a nice view of the herb garden and is mostly above the kitchen. As the room is directly underneath one of the chimney stacks, the chimney breast and ceiling had been damaged when the chimney stacks began to fail, so there was a large damp patch, peeling paint and a few cracks to be dealt with. We have had the chimney stacks fixed so these issues shouldn’t recur.

Here's the most damaged area at the top of the wall.

Here’s the most damaged area at the top of the wall.

P1020589

As ever with decorating, most of the hard work was in the preparation. We stripped the wallpaper (in a heatwave), plastered and filled the damaged walls, cleaned and sealed the damp area, then repainted the walls. We also repaired the window so it opens, repainted the woodwork and carried out simple draught-proofing. This involved installing beading around the base of the existing skirting boards, sealing gaps in the floorboards with a mix of sawdust and glue and installing a chimney balloon. We’ve painted the floorboards white.

Most of the work was completed in time for iris’s birthday but we had to eave the floor to cure for at least a week before moving in the furniture. Here’s how the room looks now. We still need a curtain (found the perfect fabric but it’s a touch too expensive) but in the meantime she has shutters to keep the light out.

2014-09-13 15.57.11

2014-09-13 16.01.59

2014-09-13 16.02.27

2014-09-13 16.02.52

2014-09-13 18.55.56

Advertisements