Archives for posts with tag: shower room
Before - green tiles, dodgy lino, unsafe shower.

Before – green tiles, dodgy lino, unsafe shower.

Major milestone today – we have finally finished one room. It’s the smallest room in the house but it did have to be gutted and started from scratch so it’s unbridled excitement in the Moodie household. I refer, of course, to the downstairs shower room – a project begun back in October when the old unsafe shower and fittings were ripped out and the walls plasterboarded and tiled.

A blank canvas...sort of

A blank canvas…sort of

wpid-IMAG0241.jpg

It’s a bit tricky redoing a bathroom in an old house, treading a line between twee repro items, clinical and slightly jarring contemporary fittings and expensive and awkward to install salvaged items. We wanted to have our cake and eat it with the convenience of a simple walk-in shower (complete with recycled plastic shower tray), traditional style loo and sink, and stone and slate tiles to add texture and reflect the outside landscape. We also had a limited choice of showers due to the off-grid water supply and the need for an electric shower. Our new bathroom fittings are all from Victoria Plumb, with the exception of the heated towel rail which is from Geyser. The slate floor tiles are from Cosmo Ceramics and cost us less than fifty quid and the wall tiles by Al Murad.

shower after

Stage two was to get the lighting and extractor fan fitted and the walls and ceiling plastered which was done before Christmas. Leaving a couple of weeks to let the plaster dry out properly, we then painted. We started with a miscoat of watered down white emulsion, followed by another coat of full-strength white emulsion. Then came the top coat. Walls are in Farrow and Ball’s Ammonite estate eggshell and the ceiling and door woodwork in a brilliant white eggshell we had leftover from old DIY jobs.

This week brought the finishing touches – attaching a mirror made from an old wardrobe door mirror left in the back hall when we moved in which I customized with driftwood (how-to post later) and shelves made using old cistern brackets from the upstairs bathroom which I stripped and cleaned but left with distressed paintwork. The shelf was made from pieces of wood salvaged from other projects in the house which we sanded and treated with linseed oil.

shelf and mirror

We love it and I now have a room to hide in when the endless DIY gets too much!

Advertisements

image

After a fortnight we finally bid farewell to our plumber today. He will be back next month to do our kitchen sink but has left us with a lovely new shower room.

All we have to do is scrim, fill and paint the walls and get our sparky, AKA Dad, to do the spotlights, fan and towel rail and have a think about mirrors and storage.

In the meantime we can use it as of tomorrow afternoon. Turns out the old shower should never have been fitted to a non-mains system which explains part of why it was so awful!

It is a bit tricky to take pictures as the door is taped over but here are a few.

image

image

image

We should have a working downstairs toilet and possibly shower by the end of tomorrow. Yay! The plumber has also finished the tiling except for one bit of grouting. Double yay for him as I think it was driving him round the bend. We also had our scaffolders back today.

image

Fake walls and ceiling are now up – ceiling height is now at the standard level for modern houses. Thankfully the room does not feel much smaller and the lowered ceiling makes the room feel warmer too. The base for the shower tray (recycled plastic) is in and tiling commences today.

Biggest development this week is the installation of the new downstairs shower room. Here are some before pictures so you can appreciate its many delights in all their glory:

Autumn 2013 086

Autumn 2013 087

So yesterday the plumber had the fun job of ripping it all out. The tiles were very wonky so we had assumed the walls would be too. As it turns out the walls are pretty OK the tiles were just very badly applied (half a wall full fell on the plumber’s head after one tap!). Apart from it being hideous there are a few reasons for doing the shower room – one is there is a small area of damp caused by the bad workmanship, the second is that all the sanitary ware was in some way damaged and thirdly there is nothing worse than doing dirty DIY jobs and not being able to get clean! There is also no storage in the downstairs bathroom and it is our only shower.

Here’s how the shower room looked yesterday afternoon. The very faint pen line on the wall is where a new suspended ceiling will be – the walls will all be studded out to conceal the pipework today.

A blank canvas...sort of

A blank canvas…sort of

Autumn 2013 091