Archives for posts with tag: kitchen installation

image

A fun weekend at Plunton saw us making a four inch hole in a 2 foot thick stone wall and, as a result, having to remove the plaster-and-lath wall and put up new plasterboard. Exhausting work but had the happy result that we can now crack on with the kitchen fitting. Turns out the kitchen fitter has two sisters living in the southside of Glasgow, one next door to friends of ours! Nice to have a natter about Sammy Dow’s and the joys of southside life. Kitchen fitting should be done and dusted tomorrow, sink plumbed on Thursday and we might even have it plastered by the weekend if we can strip the remaining wallpaper in time.

image

While the kitchen was out of bounds the boys and I got on with the pre-Christmas clean. It took almost all day but the house is now ready for decorations and guests and while I was crawling around picking up lego the daughter-in-law and granddaughter of the former owner arrived with a Christmas gift and card to invite us over for a Christmas gathering on Sunday afternoon. Finally starting to feel more festive, just in time for the weather to turn frosty.

Advertisements

It’s been a bit of a stop-start couple of weeks with work on the house. We have had a stuttering start to the kitchen installation which we are hoping to complete next week but what we have of the kitchen is lovely (see previous Island Life post) and it should only take a couple of days to install the remainder next week – if our DIY goes well!

But we have made much better progress in other areas. Our scaffolding has been taken down so our chimney stacks are all repointed and watertight, our cast iron gutters have been repaired and painted and our wooden fascia boards have been overhauled. If you ignore the masonry paintwork which we’ll do in the summer the outside of the house is looking lots better and, along with getting new external doors, it means we have another big item ticked off our pre-Christmas to-do list – specifically, Plunton is now watertight!

The other niggling job that was finished this week (this very lunchtime in fact) is reinstating the back staircase. For reasons lost in the mists of time the useful back stairs were partially removed by the last inhabitants – with half of them left hanging in mid-air and the remainder stored in the garage. I suspect this was due to using the former kitchen as a bedroom.

The joiners who replaced our doors came back to reinstate them for us so we now have a quick route from the connecting room (AKA laundry, tool storage and baby-changing room) to the utility kitchen.

Here’s a couple of before and after pictures.

before_stairs

after_stairs

Once we get round to overhauling the utitilty we’ll build storage into the gap under the stairs.

And, of course, we’ve also been attempting to keep going with all the many Christmas jobs. Arthur had his first nativity yesterday (spectacularly mis-cast as a wise man) and we are going to a panto at the High School t tonight. We’ve also managed to order a wreath for the front door and will probably be getting a Christmas tree next week once the kitchen is all done and dusted. Iris has been practising her Christmas songs around the house ready for her performance next week and then it’s the holidays. We’ve also had a couple of house visitors – Ellie brought Arthur’s friend Elijah this morning to update us on the appointment of a new head at Iris’s school and James Finlay popped in earlier in the week from Cream O Galloway and welcomed us to the neighbourhood with a tub of ice cream. We also popped into Colt Cottage to talk smallholding with Jo and resident WWOOFer Anna. Christmas gift to each other will, I think, be signing up as WWOOF hosts.

wpid-IMAG0270.jpg

We have a kitchen island. Sink and wall units will now be coming next week (as it looks like we will have to make our own hole in the wall for the extractor). We are also thinking of pulling off the old plaster and reboarding as the plaster is badly damaged in parts. Fun weekend of DIY for us. Anyone who fancies exchanging bed and board for a few hours’ labour is most welcome to visit!

wpid-IMAG0269.jpg

image

In preparation for our kitchen being built in a few weeks, and as the pouring rain stymied our afternoon garden plans, we have begun taking up the flooring in the kitchen/dining/bedroom. As you can see in the photo the current floor covering is a fetching mix of carpet offcuts (with and without underlay) and rush-mat-effect lino. Getting the carpet up is easy as it is only attached with duct tape and in places the lino is a doddle but at the joins and in high-traffic areas it has been stuck down with a weird bonding glue.

image

In these patches we are using brute force and paint scrapers to lift it up and then a heat paint stripping gun to dissolve the remnants. Then it needs a quick sand. There is also a weird patch that needs a bit of chiseling.

image

We will then clean and seal the stone floors…Phew!